Skip to main content
search
0

It may seem shallow that appearances matter so much on camera or on film… but it’s an important facet of presenting oneself. You wouldn’t show up to an important meeting or interview with bedhead or last night’s make-up, so why would you show up on camera for a company video the same way?

The fact of the matter is that only 7% of the way you communicate depends on what you say with your words – the remaining 93% is non-verbal communications, that is, how you say it.

Non-verbal:verbal graph

  1. Pace: if you think you’re speaking too slowly, you are probably talking at the right pace. Speaking too fast out of nerves will make you difficult to understand, and it will be hard for your videographer to edit any mistakes afterwards.
  2. Posture: sit up straight with your shoulders back and chest out, as your voice will carry better this way. You will feel more confident, look more engaged and feel more in control this way.
  3. Hand gestures: very useful in expressing yourself or illustrating a point, but don’t overdo them.
  4. Take your time: when we are recording and we say, “when you are ready”, we mean it. Take your time to compose yourself and feel comfortable. Everyone trips over a word at some point, so if you stumble or lose your train of thought, pause, gather yourself and start again.
  5. Relax: take a deep breath and smile before you begin each piece to camera. This way, you won’t run out of breath and smiling will help you stay relaxed.
  6. Clothing: wear something professional and stylish, avoiding bright patterns, stripes, or checks (these will look strange on camera). Shiny jewellery, glitter and sequins will also catch the light excessively. It’s often worth bringing a spare shirt or jacket with you, in the event that what you are wearing is clashing with the person next to you or your background.
  7. Appearances: make-up is important to wear on camera as it can make a huge difference. For men, nothing over the top is needed – perhaps some hairspray and some moisturiser on the face. For women, apply some mascara  and eyeliner to make your eyes the focus for the video. It doesn’t hurt to apply some bronzer or blush on your cheeks either, as a camera can dramatically flatten your features.
  8. Hair: styling longer hair professionally can be very beneficial, as you want to both look your best and feel your best. Keep your hair out of your face and your eyes, and try not to touch it excessively.
  9. Rest: if you’re not feeling energised or 100% mentally, you really shouldn’t be filming your video today. Tiredness can come across on camera and the last thing you want immortalised is you looking exhausted and bored.
  10. Pep-talk: give yourself a little pep talk to boost your confidence. Believing you can be natural can make all the difference in you actually acting natural. Understand that even the most experienced presenters make mistakes and it’s okay to get it right after a few go’s.
[signup-to-form]